Ode to B. A. G. S.
From the stately Buenos Aires, even southwards to Quequen,
Widely spread its lines divergent o'er the plains,
And from fair Bahia Blanca out to far remote Neuquen,
To the westward now are speeding fast its trains;
To its docks at South Barracas come its laden cars with wool,
And the harvests drawn from many a fertile farm,
Sheep and cattle from estancias round Dolores and Azul,
While down at Mar del Plata tourists swarm.Then here's success to the B.A.G.S.,How the passenger must ponder as the train flies smoothly on,
Queen of the roads in the fair Argentine,
Still may it flourish and ever progress,
And good to the Country with profit combine.
Whilst he lounges in the 'Pullman' at his ease,
Of trials of the travellers who in days now past and gone,
Crossed the pampas wide and boundless as the seas.
On the slow and creaking ox carts or unmanageable steeds,
With a wild and reckless 'gaucho' as a guide,
Ever watchful, ever fearful lest behind some clump of reeds,
Ferocious bands of savages might hide.Then here's success, etc.From but a little section, from the Port to Chascomus,
It has grown to the colossus of the roads,
And every new extension seems more traffic to produce,
Demanding greater trains and mightier loads,
'Tis an everstanding monument of British Enterprise,
A blessing to the Country which it serves,
May the people of the Argentine ne'er cease to recognise
The gratitude the Company deserves.Then here's success, etc.All honour to the founders of this enterprise supreme,
From the thousands who its benefits do share,
May they ever in their memories uphold in high esteem
The names of Armstrong, Robertson and Fair;
With the veteran Chairman Parish, whilst around him there have shone
Such men as Drabble, Barker, Allen, Neild,
Whose conspicuous abilities have pushed its fortunes on
And placed it ever foremost in the field.Then here's success, etc.
Text by John Samson (of the South American Journal),
Music by Mr. Clowes Bayley,
Sung by Mr. Vernon Taylor
at the Smoking Concert at River Plate House, London, 6 February 1903.
(Source: The Review of the River Plate, 14 March, 1903, page 469).