SPREADSHEET FILE "LOCS"
Stock, type, size and power of Argentine railway locomotives, 1892 to 1952. There are 42 sheets. The last 23 sheets show miscellaneous data about every class of locomotives owned by every railway company: wheel arrangement, manufacturer and construction date, diameter of drivers, bore and stroke of cylinders, boiler pressure, number in stock at selected year ends, and other details including links to photographs and/or diagrams. See below for the sources and reliability of these data.
|A||Existencia||Stock of engines at year end|
The data coverage and definitions changed for 1937/8 and subsequent years
|B||En servicio||Own locomotives in service on own lines|
|C||Alquiladas||Engines leased from others|
|D||a otras||Engines leased to others|
|E||En reserva||Engines in reserve or out of service|
|F||Armadas||Engines erected and placed in service||Excludes engines erected during construction and before opening to service. Differs from the change in stock by scrapping and by purchase and sale of engines.|
|G||Peso||Average weight in service with tender||Data may vary by inclusion or exclusion of shunters.|
|H||Vacía||Average empty weight without tender||Indicates cost because prices were quoted in $ or £ per lb. of empty weight.|
|I||Pasajeros||Passenger engines with tender||Originally of 4 drivers but later also 6.|
|J||Sin ténder||Passenger tank engines||Used for commuter trains|
|K||Mixtas||Mixed engines with tender||Originally of 6 drivers. Data may vary by reclassification of engines.|
|L||Sin t||Mixed tank engines|
|M||Carga||Freight engines with tender||Originally with 8 drivers. Data vary by reclassification of engines with 6 drivers.|
|N||Sin tend||Freight tank engines|
|P||Diesel||Diesel-mechanical and diesel-electrical engines||Includes mobile power-houses for electric trains of the B.A.G.S.R.|
|Q||Eléctricas||Electric locomotives||Found only on the Central of Buenos Aires and B.A.W.R.|
|R||Fuerza||Average tractive effort of an engine||According to the mechanical parts. The modern formula is applied since 1904.|
|S||Descripción||Description of locomotives of minor railways|
|T||Andino||Description of locomotives of the Andino railway|
|U||CNA||Description of locomotives of the Ferrocarril Central Norte Argentino (State) railway and its predecessors|
|V||FCCC||Description of locomotives of the Cordoba Central railway and associated companies|
|W||CNW||Description of locomotives of the Cordoba and North-Western railway|
|X||SF||Description of locomotives of Province of Santa Fe railways|
|Y||CGBA||Description of locomotives of the Compagnie Générale de Chemins de Fer dans la Province de Buenos-Ayres|
|Z||TVR||Description of locomotives of the Rafaela Steam Tramway|
|AA||MBA||Description of locomotives of the Buenos Aires Midland railway|
|AB||PBA||Description of locomotives of the railway of the Province of Buenos Aires|
|AC||Trocha media||Description of locomotives of the East Argentine, Eastern (State), Argentine North-Eastern, Entre Rios and Central of Buenos Aires railways|
|AD||BAN||Description of locomotives of the Buenos Ayres Northern railway|
|AE||BAE||Description of locomotives of the Buenos Ayres, Ensenada and Port railway|
|AF||FCS||Description of locomotives of the Buenos Ayres Great Southern railway|
|AG||BBNO||Description of locomotives of the Bahia Blanca North-Western railway|
|AH||FCO||Description of locomotives of the Buenos Ayres Western railway|
|AJ||BAR||Description of locomotives of the Buenos Ayres and Rosario railway|
|AI||FCCA||Description of locomotives of the Central Argentine railway and amalgamated companies|
|AJ||OSF||Description of locomotives of the Western of Santa Fe and Santa Fe and Cordoba Great Southern railways|
|AK||BAP||Description of locomotives of the Buenos Ayres and Pacific railway and the lines it leased|
|AL||GOA||Description of locomotives of the Argentine Great Western railway|
|AM||RPB||Description of locomotives of the Chemin de Fer de Rosario a Puerto-Belgrano|
|AN||Patagonia||Description of locomotives on Patagonian railway lines|
|AO||Notas||Totals and sub-totals are only for those railways under the jurisdiction of the National Railways Board. Data for other railways are incomplete and included only in respect of companies that later came under that jurisdiction.|
The descriptions include complete lists for selected years from opening to 1952.
The lists are illustrated with links to photographs and diagrams on the same compact disk.
The table sheets with locomotive descriptions carry each Class in a separate row, with the following details arranged in columns:
|ENGINES IN STOCK||Units|
|ENGINE||Driving wheel diameter||mm|
|TENDER||No. of axles||number|
|Weight of engine and tender in service||tonnes|
|Length over buffers||m.|
|Purchase Price||gold pesos|
|YEAR||Number in stock|
MAIN SOURCES OF DETAILS ABOUT LOCOMOTIVES AND LOCOMOTIVE STOCKS BY CLASS:
1. Buenos Aires Great Southern Railway, Locomotive Diagram Books, 1932, 1940.
2. Buenos Ayres Western Railway, Type Sketches of Locomotives, Liniers Works, 1929.
3. Central Argentine Railway, Locomotive Diagram Books, 1920 and 1932.
4. Compañía Francesa de Ferrocarriles de la Provincia de Santa Fe, Libro de Diagramas de Locomotoras, 1919.
5. Cordoba Central Railway, Rolling Stock Album and Diagram Book, 1937.
6. Ferrocarril Nacional General Belgrano, Esquemas de Locomotoras, 1955.
7. Argentine Republic, Ministry of Public Works, Estadística de los Ferrocarriles en Explotación, 1894, Table 9, pages 46-89.
8. Argentine Republic, Ministry of Public Works, Estadística de los Ferrocarriles en Explotación, 1895, Table I, pages 228-271.
9. Argentine Republic, Ministry of Public Works, Estadística de los Ferrocarriles en Explotación, 1901, Tables 1 to 59.
10. Argentine State Railways, Itinerario de trenes No. 43, Central Northern Railway, May 1924.
11. Argentine State Railways, Working Timetables No. 62, Central Northern Railway, December 1934.
12. Argentine State Railways, Working Timetables No. 70, Central Northern Railway, December 1938.
13. Argentine State Railways, Working Timetables No. 70, Patagonian Lines, December 1938.
14. Argentine State Railways, Supplement to Working Timetables Nos. 73, 74 y 75, July 1940.
15. Argentine State Railways, Supplement to Working Timetables No. 73, April 1940.
16. Argentine State Railways, Supplement to Working Timetables No. 74, Summer 1940/1.
17. Argentine State Railways, Supplement to Working Timetables No. 5, July 1945.
18. Ferrocarril Nacional General Bartolomé Mitre, Supplement No. 4 to Working Timetables, 1 September 1954.
19. Working timetables of numerous other railways, years 1924, 1934 and 1942.
20. Annual reports by directors of the A.N.E.R., B.A.G.S.R., B.A.W.R., B.A.R.R., C.A.R., B.A.P.R., Cordoba Central Ry., Entre Rios Rys., Compagnie Française des Chemins de Fer de la Province de Santa-Fé, and Compagnie du Chemin de Fer de Rosario à Puerto Belgrano.
21. North British Locomotive Co. Ltd., Argentine Locomotives, 1910 (Brochure prepared for the Centenary Exhibition)
22. North British Locomotive Co. Ltd., A Catalogue of Narrow Gauge Locomotives, 1912.
23. Vulcan Magazine, vol. 1 No. 11, autumn 1950, pp. 14-16; vol. 2, No. 9, Spring 1953, pages 16-17.
24. George S. Brady, The Railways of South America, Part I: Argentina, US Department of Commerce, Trade Promotion Series No. 32, Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1926.
25. Rodger P. Bradley, Giants of Steam, The Full Story of the North British Locomotive Co. Ltd, Oxford Publishing Co., 1995.
26. John Cantrell, Nasmyth, Wilson & Co., Patricroft Locomotive Builders, Brimscombe Port, Tempus Publishers, 2005.
27. Reg Carter, Railways and Motive Power of Argentina: Complete Listing of Public Railways with Basic Details and Comprehensive Locomotive Lists, Stamford: Amphion Press, 2006, 513 pp.
28. Charles Case, The Organisation of a Locomotive Running Department in the Argentine Republic, Journal of the Institution of Locomotive Engineers, vol. xviii, No. 86, July-August 1928, Paper No. 234, Figure 5, Page 481.
29. A. E. Durrant, The Garratt Locomotive, New York: Augustus Kelly, 1969.
30. Fred W. Harman, The Locomotives built by Manning Wardle & Company, vol. 3: Broad gauge & Works List, Bridlington: Century Locoprints, n.d.
31. Richard L. Hills, Beyer Peacock Locomotive Order List, London: British Overseas Railways Historical Trust, 1997.
32. Richard L. Hills and D. Patrick, Beyer, Peacock, Locomotive Builders to the World, Glossop, Darbyshire: The Transport Publishing Company, 1982.
33. Mario Justo López, Historia de los Ferrocarriles de la Provincia de Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires: Lumière, 1991.
34. Mario Justo López, Historia de los ferrocarriles nacionales, Buenos Aires: Lumière, 1991.
35. John Poole, Argentine Broad Gauge Locomotive Design, Journal of the Institution of Locomotive Engineers, 1923, No. 65, Paper No. 160, pp. 299-350.
36. John Poole, Las Primeras Locomotoras Argentinas, 1856-1870, Congreso Panamericano de Ferrocarriles, Boletín No. 67, July-August 1941, pp. 13-22.
37. John Poole, Further Notes on Locomotive Modernisation in Argentina, The Railway Gazette, 28 March, 1952, pp. 347-8.
38. John Poole, The Two-Cylinder Compound Locomotive in the Argentine, unpublished M.S., 29 December 1952.
39. Douglas S. Purdom, British Steam on the Pampas, London and New York: Mechanical Engineering Publications Limited, 1977.
40. Douglas S. Purdom, Locomotive Modernisation in the Argentine, The Railway Gazette, 19 October, 1951, pp. 431-32.
41. Ronald Nelson Redman, The Railway Foundry Leeds, 1839-1869, Norwich: Goose & Son, 1972.
42. L. T. C. Rolt, A Hunslet Hundred, New York: Augustus Kelly, 1969.
43. Henry Richard Stones, British Railways in Argentina, 1860-1948, Bromley, Kent: P.E. Waters & Associates, 1993.
44. Brian Webb, Armstrong Whitworth, a Pioneer of World Diesel Traction, Lightmoor Press, 2010.
45. British Overseas Railways Historical Trust, H.R.Stones Collection, File D8, Central Argentine Railway Stock Return, 1921.
46. British Overseas Railways Historical Trust, H.R.Stones Collection, File D8, First Locomotives of the B.A. and Campana Rly., 1873-1884.
47. British Overseas Railways Historical Trust, H.R.Stones Collection, File D8, Malagueño Railway, 1921.
48. British Overseas Railways Historical Trust, H.R.Stones Collection, File D8, Province of Santa Fe Railway, 1885-1892.
49. British Overseas Railways Historical Trust, H.R.Stones Collection, File D8, Province of Santa Fe Railway, 1893-1948.
50. Jane's World Railways 1952/53, pp. 251-255.
51. The Railway Gazette, Special issue for the International Railway and other Transport Exhibition at Buenos Aires, 1910, 25 May 1910, 124 pp.
52. The Railway Gazette, First Special South American Railway Number, 22 November 1926, 104 pp.
53. The Railway Gazette, several other issues.
54. The Review of the River Plate, various issues.